[Wikipedia-l] Link Syntax

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu
Tue Aug 6 01:25:55 UTC 2002

Tarquin wrote in part:

>+ called [[George }W{. Bush]]
>= called [[George W. Bush|W]] during the campaign
>Shows as: called _W_ during the campaign

O gods please no.
I would rather surround included material than excluded material,
but backwards brackets are just going to make newbies go nuts.

I'm beginning to think that we should just drop the idea.
It should only go forward if we find a system that's easy to read.
This isn't like tables and math that can't help but be complicated;
we should have a much lower tolerance in this situation.
(Of course, if others have better ideas, then I'll still listen.)

-- Toby Bartels
   <toby+wikipedia-l at math.ucr.edu>