[Wikipedia-l] policy suggestion: SAMPA

rose.parks at att.net rose.parks at att.net
Mon Aug 5 00:07:57 UTC 2002

Hello members..

In regard to the suggestion below - that pronunciations
be supplied in phonetics or pseudo-phonetics in SAMPA, I
find a number of problems.

First, American English and British English do not have
the same pronunciation for the same words, yet the two
are intermixed in the English wikipedia.

Second, no dictionary or encyclopedia offers phonetic or
pseudo-phonetic pronunciations. They offer some kind of
_phonemic_ pronunciation.

The decision to use SAMPA is not an obvious one. Very
few ordinary people are familiar with SAMPA symbols.
Probably British English speakers are much more aware of
the IPA, since it is used consistently in the Oxford
Press publications. American English speakers use
dictionaries that use a variety of pronunciation guides,
but all based on the IPA.

     I think any decisions on supplying pronunciations
require a great deal more consideration, before anything
is implemented.

              As Ever,

                 Ruth Ifcher