[Wikipedia-l] What a wiki table syntax needs to do to work with current table layouts

lcrocker at nupedia.com lcrocker at nupedia.com
Sat Aug 3 01:29:28 UTC 2002

> I think the problem with this markup is that you only have
> an "open"-tag and can't nest them.

You can, I just didn't show any examples of that.  What I want to
do is have {xx some text} produce a SPAN, and
{xx
Some text
}
Produce a DIV, either or both of which can be nested if
necessary (though it should almost never be).  The shortcut
syntax {xx} just means "apply the class or ID to whatever
the next thing you encounter is", which may be a single word
of text, or a table, or a cell, or a list, or a header....

> How would you combine it, for example, to have a small label
> below the floating-right image?

Put 'em in a DIV:

{right
[[image:baldeagle.jpg]]<br>
Caption
}

We'll have to do something about <br>, and we also need a way
to specify table captions and headers (you could then put the
image in a table with a caption if you preferred).

>Make it look wiki, I think this is similar to
>the way Jan Hidders proposed:
>
>>> [[image:spottedowl.jpg|Spotted owl]] >>

Right now that sets the ALT text.