[Wikipedia-l] Why Wikipedia needs linkbacks

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Tue Oct 30 10:10:50 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 30 October 2001 03:54, you wrote:
> Can you imagine what this project could be like in ten years, if we stay
> on track?  It really *could* beat out Britannica in terms of quality.
> And *everybody and his grandmother* will be wanting to use Wikipedia
> content.

Forget Britannica. This obsession with "beating" an obsolete concept is
something we need to get rid of *fast*.

Instead, let's look at what is going on on WP right now. The people
handling the 9-11 reporting are putting up pages for WTC victims.

Think about that. In the past, to get your name into britannica you first
needed to get famous (or infamous), to do something extraordinary. To get
a page up on WP, all that is needed is for someone to think that you
should be remembered. Hypothetically, we could have a page for every one
of the six billion people on the planet. And one for every one of their
ancestors yea unto the seventh generation. [[At this point, Jimbo looks
nervously at his hard disk capacity]].

This is something new, and I don't think any of us can really predict
where it will go. But there is no need to obsess about Britannica. It was
a great product in its time, but moving an 18th century concept to the web
does not move the concept itself  into the 21st.

--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
clasqm at mweb.co.za/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

Help Microsoft stamp out software piracy: give Linux to a friend today..