[Wikipedia-l] Britannica news

Jimmy Wales jwales at aristotle.bomis.com
Wed Mar 14 20:59:46 UTC 2001

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/is/20010314/bs/brittanica_com_look_under_m_for_mess_1.html

I think that Britannica's woes will only deepen.  It's hard to compete against
_free_ volunteer projects like Nupedia and Wikipedia.  Of course, we aren't really
making a dent in them yet, but anything they do which presupposes that people will
be willing to pay for their content will be disastrous for them in the "long" run --
the 5-10 years it will take for Nupedia to be competitive with them, or the 1-2 years
that Wikipedia will take.