[Wikipedia-l] PHP Wikipedia

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri Aug 24 21:30:15 UTC 2001

How difficult do you think it will be to import all the existing wikipedia data
into your version?

What's your take on the general availability of PHP skills on the net, versus
Perl skills?

I've been talking to Clifford Adams about the future of Wikipedia and UseModWiki,
and he's given his blessing to a Wikipedia-centric fork of his code.  Some of the
design goals for UseModWiki, namely that it be easy to install, etc., aren't necessarily
consistent with some of the more highly specialized needs of Wikipedia.  He suggests
that we find someone (Magnus? :-)) to take over the forked version, and that we could
set up a modern CVS, etc.

I'm reluctant to go the PHP route, partially because I don't personally know much
about PHP, but if you can convince me that it's sufficiently superior to a mod_perl
or perl fastcgi solution, I'm thinking that we could go your route.  Your code could
be wikipedia-centric, and we could all learn to help you with it.

--Jimbo