[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia teamwork

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Tue Aug 21 21:10:49 UTC 2001

Krzysztof P. Jasiutowicz wrote:
> That's another point. Maybe I am a little paranoid but I feel that
> while wikipedia is doing so great I'm anxious what will it be in the future.
> How can we be sure that they won't shut down the server or make it payable.
> This is a commercial company after all, not the FSF.

Just so you know... at the present time, I see no really promising
way to make a lot of money from wikipedia, but at the same time the
expenses are quite low.  If wikipedia were to become wildly successful,
in terms of web traffic, then it would be easy to introduce just enough
(and hopefully non-intrusive) advertising to continue to cover expenses.
If wikipedia were to continue as a thriving small community, it doesn't
really cost anything substantial to keep it running.

So, although this is a commercial company, you should really think of
it more as my own personal project.

There are plans afoot to spin off Nupedia and Wikipedia into a non-profit
organization.  This is by no means certain, but I think that there is much
to recommend it.