[Wikipedia-l] why not team up with Wikipedia?

Tim Chambers tbc+wikipedia at cos.agilent.com
Wed Aug 8 17:27:55 UTC 2001

To Whom It May Concern:

First I want to say that I've been a fan of Google since your early days. I
originally chose google.com as my search engine because the results were
better and also because I wanted to support a Web site that used Linux. I
continue to use google.com because -- more than any other search engine -- I
simply believe that you have a clue! (In the
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Cluetrain_Manifesto sense of the word. :-)

That URL brings me to the purpose that I'm writing to you. I've watched
google.com evolve over time and am enthused about Google's support for the
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Open_Directory_Project, featured prominently
on your home page. I'm wondering if Google is aware of another ambitious
project: the http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Wikipedia. You can visit the Web
page for details, but in a sentence, it is "a collaborative project to
produce a complete encyclopedia from scratch" (http://www.wikipedia.com/).
It's important to note that Wikipedia is also an open source encyclopedia
project. That is, the content is released under the GNU Free Documentation
License.

Wikipedia tracks its relationship to the Google spider and search engine
(see http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/What_Google_Likes), but I'm writing to
ask if you'd consider something more. Could there be some relationship
similar to what you have to dmoz.org? Could Wikipedia be featured in search
results in a distinctive way?

I, and other members of the Wikipedia discussion list, patiently and
hopefully await your reply.

Respectfully,

Tim Chambers ><>
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/Tbc