[Wikinews-l] Reuse of content/liberal licensing

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Oct 26 05:01:15 UTC 2009

Dear press at fora.tv,

I am both an active Wikimedian, and a senior member of the Wikinews
community; a sister site to Wikipedia where we do our best to work as
citizen journalists.

I have encountered Fora.TV content in the past and found it to be
extremely well put together, intelligent and articulate, and have just
made use of a couple of the "teasers" on your YouTube channel to
illustrate points on Facebook and elsewhere.

I would love to see this content on Wikipedia, and have the option to
use it in my home project, Wikinews.

Of course, I would not expect you to make available your full-length
features, it is the 5-10 minute excerpts on YouTube I'd like.

This would involve releasing these excerpts under a quite liberal
license and uploading them to Wikipedia's media repository.

I would be delighted to discuss the potential issues with this, and some
of the technical considerations.

As a participant on Wikinews, an arrangement enabling this would be
particularly newsworthy to me - and an opportunity to illustrate an
article with samples of these excerpts.

I would also expect that one or more of these excerpts would end up
featuring on your Wikipedia page[1], putting it in a rare class -
Wikipedia articles with video content.

Regards,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fora_tv
--