[Wikinews-l] Meta site for all Wikinews editions

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 03:30:13 UTC 2009

I think that we need such place for a couple of reasons:
* Meta is "too Meta" for our needs. We need a meta site which would be
regulated by Wikinewsians.
* All coordination will be moved to that site: this includes, but it
is not limited to:
** Organizing bot work.
** Organizing work related to cooperation: translations, contacts and similar.
** Accreditation process should be moved there.
* In the future, we should make Template: namespace at that site which
would be used by all Wikinews editions.
* We may generate there a set of documents which would help to the new
editions how to start a successful edition. BTW, as a LangCom member,
a number of times I mentioned that not just localization of the
messages should be enough for the project approval. Wikinews edition
is the most problematic for approval because it needs constant work.
So, as a LangCom member, I would like to see defined rules by
Wikinewsians for new edition approval.
* Similarly to beta.wikiversity.org, Wikinews meta site may be used
instead of Incubator: It would be much better if the process of
creation of Wikinews edition would be monitored by Wikinewsians, not
by contributors with just Wikipedian background. (While it is good
enough formally to have contributors with just Wikipedian background
for all other projects, Wikinews has very different needs than one
repository of knowledge.)
* Optionally, we may use something like wiki.wikinewsie.org for that
purpose; but it has a number of limits.