[Wikinews-l] Proposal for the creation of a Wikinews foundation

Wikinews Markie newsmarkie at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:48:52 UTC 2007

On 8/22/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/08/07, Wikinews Markie <newsmarkie at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Does the organisation *have* to be only centered on Wikinews? Can't it
> > > be called "wiki journalists of the world"?
> >

> > how many wiki news sites are you aware of?? i'm afraid i only know of
> the
> > one :-)
>
> Is the wiki aspect a significant part of Wikinews? I would not have
> thought so. There are many tools you could use to collaboratively
> write news.

Is the "citizen journalism" part an important part? -there are many
> colleagues there.
> Is the free/libre part an important part? IIRC this was a strong
> argument when Wikinews began, that many people offer limited
> free/gratis news, but no one free/libre news.
> Is the 'neutral' part an important part? I would guess so.
>
> cheers,
> Brianna
> commons:user:pfctdayelise

the wiki part IMO is not important on it's own its the things that go with
wikinews.  the NPOV which (generally) other citizen journalists or bloggers
dont abide by.

also the process of accreditation relies on trust.  trust that the person
will not give wikinews a bad rep and the trust we can put in people is
limited if their not invloved in the wikinews community.  also giving passes
to other (non -wiki) users would kinda be pointless if they dont contribute
to wikinews and therfore wont know what is needed for the story and how to
present and balance it at the end.

just my thoughts though.

mark