[Wikinews-l] Wikinews: Video Wikinews 2.0 produces first promo video.

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 01:14:17 UTC 2007

On 4/11/07, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/04/07, James Hare <messedrocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We still have to promote them, though. Does YouTube retain copyrights on the
> > videos uploaded to the website?
>
> I assume not. The BBC, for example, has an account and uploads pretty
> lengthy clips to YouTube. Perhaps Wikimedia should do the same thing?
>
> Being copyleft, our content can be reused quite freely (including
> being posted on YouTube). I simply contest using YouTube/Microsoft
> Live or any other such site which uses proprietory software as the
> *primary* distributor of our content.

Yes, the copyright terms do not change, you simply give YouTube a
license to host and distribute your video, which is revocable if you
delete the video from YouTube. For "CC" style content that Wikinews
and Wikimedia projects generate, this should be completely compatible.
Details below.

It's important to note it's not either/or with YouTube. It could be
that Commons is the place to seed the video, but that it spreads to
other locations like YouTube, Ourmedia, Revver or other places for
user convenience.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)

Excerpt from YouTube terms of service:

For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User
Submissions. However, by submitting the User Submissions to YouTube,
you hereby grant YouTube a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free,
sublicenseable and transferable license to use, reproduce, distribute,
prepare derivative works of, display, and perform the User Submissions
in connection with the YouTube Website and YouTube's (and its
successor's) business, including without limitation for promoting and
redistributing part or all of the YouTube Website (and derivative
works thereof) in any media formats and through any media channels.
You also hereby grant each user of the YouTube Website a non-exclusive
license to access your User Submissions through the Website, and to
use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, display and
perform such User Submissions as permitted through the functionality
of the Website and under these Terms of Service. The foregoing license
granted by you terminates once you remove or delete a User Submission
from the YouTube Website.