No subject

Tue Mar 15 17:42:23 UTC 2011

el that I need to highlight some of these flashbacks so that we (or at leas=
t I) can realize and appreciate where we've come from.
I would like to congratulate you all for the success of this project, and m=
ost importantly, I would like to congratulate on-the-ground team members wh=
o sacrificed their time off work, off internships and off university and we=
nt to these schools in order to ensure that students in Nyeri, Kakamega and=
 Mombasa could have free access to Wikipedia.
I would also like to send my condolences to those who couldn't make it like=
 Samson Maosa. I extend my condolences to the Nyeri team whose laptops were=
 virus-infected.
But, as David hinted in his most recent email, this is not the end. This wa=
s just a pilot. For those of you who were with me since the start of this p=
roject, you might remember that we had a list of 10 regions. So we still ha=
ve a lot of work ahead of us. And I think that we all agree that we need to=
 design an offline version of Wikipedia that is custom-made for Kenyan stud=
ents. I therefore hope that this project will not end here.
FYI- One of the Foundation's strategic priorities lies in investing in mobi=
le Wikipedia and offline products. Speaking of offline products, has anyone=
 of you ever heard of WikiReader? It's a device that you could use to acces=
s Wikipedia without internet connectivity and which you could update newer =
articles whenever you connect it to the internet. It goes for just $100 on =
Amazon. Just thought I'd let you know of this incredible device.
BTW -- this might be slightly off-topic, but I'd thought that I'd let you k=
now that I was informed that we arguably have the most multi-national chapt=
er mailing list in the Wikimedia community!!!
Warm regards,=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A=0A-----------------------------------=
--=0AAbbas Mahmood=0At | +254722215101=0Af | www.facebook.com/abbasjnr=0As =
| abbasjnr=0AWikimedia Kenya Member=0A=A0=0A"Imagine a world in which every=
 single person on the planet is given free access to the sum of all human k=
nowledge. That's our commitment."=0A=A0=0APlease donate: http://wikimediafo=
undation.org/wiki/Donate/Now/en

 =09=09 =09   =09=09  =0A
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

--0-1195058316-1301903023=:12602

top" style=3D"font: inherit;">I was not part of the initial project but exp=
ect a full committment from me and my team at strathmore University IT club=
tyle=3D"border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; padding-=
left: 5px;"><br>From: Abbas Mahmood &lt;abbasjnr at hotmail.com&gt;<br>Subject=
: [Wikimedia Kenya] Wikipedia for Schools Pilot<br>To: "Wikimedia Kenya" &l=
t;wikimediake at lists.wikimedia.org&gt;<br>Date: Sunday, April 3, 2011, 4:37 =
2077053009hmmessage P=0A{=0Amargin:0px;padding:0px;}=0A#yiv2077053009 .yiv2=
077053009hmmessage=0A{=0Afont-size:10pt;font-family:Tahoma;}=0A--></style>=
ne it would be a success. I was just checking the archives, and I remember =
that, back in late 2010 i called for a meetup so as to suggest this project=
 but we had to cancel it due to lack of quorum. But then, somehow, the disi=
llusionment faded and people became more and more enthusiastic in participa=
hen when we were only four of us (Oscar, Oliver, Dennis and myself) at our =
first meetup at Java -- and we wanted to start up a chapter. From the four =
initial members, we have grown exponentially within 6 months to around 50 m=
div>From a boys' only team to almost a 75%:25% male:female chapter. I reall=
y feel that I need to highlight some of these flashbacks so that we (or at =
least I) can realize and appreciate where we've come
e success of this project, and most importantly, I would like to congratula=
te on-the-ground team members who sacrificed their time off work, off inter=
nships and off university and went to these schools in order to ensure that=
 students in Nyeri, Kakamega and Mombasa could have free access to Wikipedi=
se who couldn't make it like Samson Maosa. I extend my condolences to the N=
as David hinted in his most recent email, this is not the end. This was jus=
t a pilot. For those of you who were with me since the start of this projec=
t, you might remember that we had a list of 10 regions. So we still have a =
lot of work ahead of us. And I think that we all agree that we need to desi=
gn an offline version of Wikipedia that is custom-made for Kenyan
 students. I therefore hope that this project will not end here.</div><div>=
vesting in mobile Wikipedia and offline products. Speaking of offline produ=
cts, has anyone of you ever heard of WikiReader? It's a device that you cou=
ld use to access Wikipedia without internet connectivity and which you coul=
d update newer articles whenever you connect it to the internet. It goes fo=
r just $100 on Amazon. Just thought I'd let you know of this incredible dev=
I'd thought that I'd let you know that I was informed that we arguably have=
 the <i>most multi-national chapter mailing list</i> in the Wikimedia commu=
>Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet is given free a=
ccess to the sum of all human knowledge. That's our commitment."</em></div>=
get=3D"_blank" href=3D"http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate/Now/en">h=
edia.org" href=3D"/mc/compose?to=3DWikimediaKE at lists.wikimedia.org">Wikimed=
iaKE at lists.wikimedia.org</a><br><a href=3D"https://lists.wikimedia.org/mail=