[Wikimedia Kenya] Wikip/media Student/Campus Clubs

Jessie Wild jwild at wikimedia.org
Thu Apr 28 17:18:55 UTC 2011

Hey everyone -

I thought I'd weigh in here regarding the clubs!

On IRC yesterday a group of us had a really interesting talk about how to
work more collaboratively with schools in the context of student run groups.
You can see all the notes on the Outreach wiki:
http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/2011,_27_April_-_IRC_student_club_conversation

Someone suggested, as Alex did in this email chain, about in some cases
simply joining in with similar groups/clubs on campus which already exist.
I think this is a great and really smart idea for a lot of reasons, which I
don't think I need to put here.

Are there like-minded organizations that come to mind for you in Kenya? One
international organization which fits really well is Students of Free
Culture (http://freeculture.org/), but I don't know if they have locations
in Kenya.

A benefit of a group/club versus a competition is that it is more permanent
and consistent: not a one-time affair like a competition. But I agree
competitions are really useful tools for recruitment, I am just highlighting
the differences.

Best -
Jessie

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Oliver Stegen <oliver_stegen at sil.org>wrote:

>  Maybe you want to find out from Maria Alphonse @Dar how they’re running
> their wikipedia student club. Muddyb tells me it’s been running since last
> year.

*Jessie Wild
Global Development, Manager
Wikimedia Foundation