[Wikimediaindia-l] India Hackathon and language teams

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 05:59:43 UTC 2011

Hoi,
As you may know there will be a hackathon that will be running in parallel
to the conference. I blogged about it on the WMF blog and we hope to learn
from you what technical things we can do to make our projects thrive in
India. http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/09/25/india-hackathon-2011/

We have found that for many languages there are things unclear about the
language. These things hamper us in providing solutions. You can imagine
that even with Santhosh knowing as much as he does about the languages of
India there are still plenty things he does not know or where he is not the
best person to learn all the minute details of one language when there are
so many languages in India alone. The idea that we have is that a group of
people from each language community, people with an intimate knowledge of
their language are much better placed to provide us with the information
that we are looking for.

One of the things we will ask these people is to review and possible create
the information for their language at the Unicode CLDR. Not only MediaWiki
uses this data for its software, applications like OpenOffice require the
information provided to allow a language to be used with its text processor.
When there are not enough qualified people available in our community, we do
want you to look elsewhere for people who are qualified and willing to help.

This request for help is made by me on behalf of the Wikimedia Localisation
Team. We would like you to use translatewiki.net as the platform from where
we can coordinate this effort. It already has portals for all the languages
supported by the Wikimedia Foundation and in addition there are languages
that are still in the incubator.

When you want to provide information for a language that is currently not
available in translatewiki.net, we are very happy to create a portal for any
and all language that is recognised as a language in the ISO-639-3.
Thanks,
     GerardM