[Wikimediaindia-l] Did you know?

Pradeep Mohandas pradeep.mohandas at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:44:37 UTC 2011

hi,

Great to hear Srikanth!

Also notice that it sends you to the mobile interface at Wikipedia. Thoughtful!

warm regards,
Pradeep Mohandas

From: srik.lak at gmail.com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 21:07:13 +0530
To: wikimediaindia-l at lists.wikimedia.org
Subject: [Wikimediaindia-l] Did you know?

* Did you know a lot of useful things were done at the Mediawiki India Hackathon see notes[1] . Thanks to all who made it happen and successful.
I am writing about one of the tiniest piece(literally some 10 lines of code) of work done on Day 1 of the hackathon. After the initial interest on @DYKIndia[2], Arunmozhi[3] and myself started working on the DYKAPI[4] sometime back with the aim of creating a "perfect" API so that app developers can consume it. We are still far away from that perfect state, but as of now it gives a very random fact from 40k + facts stored. So I thought I would do a txtweb plugin to the current API, so that one could use it as a "stumble upon" on SMS to get random facts and browse to beat boredom.

 So please try out the didyouknow txtweb app by sending "@didyouknow" as an SMS to 09243342000 and check it out.
There is lot more that can be done and much more scope for more such tools with Wikipedia Zero etc,So if you are interested and have some time, do ping me, I will keep you engaged with work!. I would also write a detailed blogpost on wikimedia.in soon which Arjuna has been requesting me for a while.

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/India_Hackathon_2011/Schedule_notes#Notes
[2] http://twitter.com/DYKIndia[3] http://www.arunmozhi.in/[4] http://github.com/tecoholic/dykapi

Srikanth.L