[Wikimediaindia-l] Did you know?

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:37:13 UTC 2011

* Did you know a lot of useful things were done at the Mediawiki India
Hackathon see notes[1] . Thanks to all who made it happen and successful.

I am writing about one of the tiniest piece(literally some 10 lines of
code) of work done on Day 1 of the hackathon. After the initial interest on
@DYKIndia[2], Arunmozhi[3] and myself started working on the DYKAPI[4]
sometime back with the aim of creating a "perfect" API so that app
developers can consume it. We are still far away from that perfect state,
but as of now it gives a very random fact from 40k + facts stored. So I
thought I would do a txtweb plugin to the current API, so that one could
use it as a "stumble upon" on SMS to get random facts and browse to beat
boredom.

 So please try out the didyouknow txtweb app by sending "@didyouknow" as an
SMS to 09243342000 and check it out.

There is lot more that can be done and much more scope for more such tools
with Wikipedia Zero etc,So if you are interested and have some time, do
ping me, I will keep you engaged with work!. I would also write a detailed
blogpost on wikimedia.in soon which Arjuna has been requesting me for a
while.

[1] http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/India_Hackathon_2011/Schedule_notes#Notes
[2] http://twitter.com/DYKIndia
[3] http://www.arunmozhi.in/