[Wikimediaindia-l] Death and Post-mortem of Indian Education Program pilot -- #DelayedMail

Hisham hmundol at wikimedia.org
Sun Nov 13 04:43:54 UTC 2011

On Nov 12, 2011, at 7:33 PM, Bala Jeyaraman wrote:

> >>Many of us went through college recently know its not *Some*, its *Most*. Anything called assignment and graded will be copy-pasted even by the brightest 5% of students in class who would have potential to do on their own.
>
> +1.  with Srikanth This is the SINGLE MOST important thing to remember for the future. Lets cut the political correctness and putting the blame everywhere else than where it belongs - the students and faculty involved

My view is not driven by political correctness but I do want to avoid generalising all students and all faculty.  Just take a look a the user talk and article discussion pages and it's immediately apparent that quite a few students and teachers wouldn't deserve blame.  Many students did make mistakes - but they made the same mistakes that many newbies.

> So here is what is to be done:
>
> 1) Keep the number low -

Agree and we need to work on how we select the colleges and faculty and classes and students.

> 2) Penalise those who copy paste

This is something that can (and should) be led by the faculty.  Some teachers have shown the way on how this can be done.

> 3) The CA to student ratio has to be 5 to 1.

Clearly the student:CA ratio needs to be reduced significantly. ...but did you mean students:CA 5:1 or 1:5?

> Anything more seems to non-workable. Online Ambassadors/mentors are not handholders and error correctors. I signed up to be an online ambassador. But stopped reading the IEP mails that were sent to me after i realised, that the IEP program essentially wanted to me to do the students' work.

That's one way of looking at it.  Another way would be that an editor (in this case who happened to be a student) contributed content to an article.  It would (almost routinely) reviewed by other editors who coudl/would improve it or point out issues.  One of the aspects that the better students have fed back to us is the value of the collaboration with the global editing community.

hisham