[Wikimediaindia-l] Death and Post-mortem of Indian Education Program pilot

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 00:28:04 UTC 2011

Another strategy that we can adopt while doing this program in India is,
about the selection of articles for editing. We can ask students to
contribute to articles that they are interested in, rather than of all of
them editing the articles on the same topic.

The reason I am telling this is, In India (in general) it is not the
students who are deciding the course (and career) that they want to
study/pursue. Parents, relatives, and community around them decide that. So
even though the student's interest may lie in a specific area, he might be
studying a different course.

Allowing students to edit in a topic that they like will bring in more
original content. But the issue with this methodology is, the role of
Professors might be reduced, and the role of CA and OA might be increased.
And I am not sure how the

But this methodology is adopted very successfully in Kerala using School
wiki <http://schoolwiki.in>. But we may say, that is school children and
they are not mature enough for wikipedia editing. Again that is our
misconception. In general, personally I am more interested to target school
students (high school and Plus 2) than college students. School children
are fantastic. It is true that most of us under estimate them. But to see
the successful result from India, see the young and wonderful wikipedians
we have in Malayalam wikipedia and wikisource.

*Note: *Please note that I am replying to this thread as a Malayalam wiki
community memeber.

Shiju

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Swaroop Rao <raul.swaroop at gmail.com>wrote:

> That's true Arjun, there is a lot of interest in this program in many
> colleges, and this is going untapped. No, its not dead for sure. It was a
> pilot, and it didn't come out pretty; no issues, that's how we learn. I
> think that one thing we learnt is that the US model may not work out well
> for India, so we need to develop an India specific model for this (That's
> what we've been trying to do in these previous mails actually I guess).
>
> Swaroop Rao
> (MikeLynch <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MikeLynch>)
>

> Steering Committee member, United States Education Program
>

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 23:36, Arjun mangol <arjun.mangol at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I refuse to believe it dead as of yet. There's yet a lot of avenues that
>> haven't been explored. My personal suggestion was that let IEP establish a
>> Wikipedia Club in every college in Pune to begin with, that would inculcate
>> new, interested members who have a genuine passion for the project. Such
>> clubs could meet every second Sunday, hold guest lecs, set a quota for a
>> certain no. of articles to be created by the Pune chapter and so on by the
>> members, teach its members better editing skills, and spread the knowledge.
>> The CA training prog that I attended was a hell lotta fun and I wish many
>> of my friends get the feel of it too.
>>
>> These clubs would be managed by all the 'veteran' CAs and newer ones if
>> needed as and when. IEP would be the umbrella organisation to it all, and
>> we can focus a lot more on quality of articles rather than the sheer no. of
>> editors and rampant copyvio-ing done as a consequence by the newbies. Give
>> it thought. My friends in many colleges throughout India were literally
>> jealous that I was a part of it. Let's not let it go unnoticed that there
>> is genuine interest spread in pockets throughout the country.
>>
>> - Arjun
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Arnav Sonara <sonara.arnav at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> hi,

>>> Thanks to all of you, yes this was a Pilot, but at no point I see it
>>> dying.  Its just that we have taken a pause right now to learn from the
>>> findings and ll come back all prepared and with the help of you all we ll
>>> try to gain new heights again.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thanks
>>> Arnav (ricku).