[Wikimediaindia-l] Quantity Vs Quality: Hindi Wikipedia story

Shiju Alex shijualexonline at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 15:49:50 UTC 2011

> *Jimmy Wales mentioned how stub articles on the populated places in United
> States drove the growth of English Wikipedia. **People hailing from these
> places would google their hometowns and arrive at Wikipedia.*

*
*This might be true for English or European language wikipedias. But a very
example to follow for Indian wiki communities.

*A typical scenario.*

A normal Indian user search for an article about his home town in internet (
*by typing in his mother language script*), find an article about it *in the
respective language wikipedia*, click the edit button, and then enhance it.

Highly improbable!!!   To reach that stage, normal Indian users need to
cross lot of hurdles (awareness, willingness, fonts, rendering issues,
typing tools, and so on) . Very rarely, experienced wikipedians in the
respective language wikipedia may enhance it. The chances of even that is
very less in Indian Wikipedias. Just check this list itself. How many hyper
active English language wikipedians (Indians) edited in their respective
mother language wikipedia? If this is the case with experienced editors we
do not to mention about non-wiki users. From last year's
statistics<http://shijualex.wordpress.com/2011/02/27/indian-language-wikipedias-2010-statistical-report/>we
know the community strength of different Indian language wikipedias.

I would like to see few *bot created stub article* in any Indian language
Wikipedia, later *enhanced by IPs or new users*.* Increasing the article
count without building the community will be very bad for any Indian
Wikipedia*. If we have a big community to work on the rest of the tasks
after the article creation, then there is no harm in creating stub articles
using bots in a systematic way. I think Tamil wikipedians had done this.

Utkarsh pointed to some others issues also in the blogpost.

Situation will change as more people become aware about the language
computing tools of the respective language. But at that time if  they get a
wiki with articles highly disorganized, it is not going to help anyone.

Shiju

**