[Wikimediaindia-l] Top indic Administrators

praveenp me.praveen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 04:55:31 UTC 2011

On Friday 29 July 2011 09:09 AM, mayur wrote:
> Hi Asaf Bartov,
>                         Every thing has its own Importance, We need
> development and progess in each and every area.Adminstrators are first
> of all supposed to do admin activities as mentioned in this survey
> bcoz  thats why they have given this tool by community. Newbies can be
> mentored by each Senior user of the community and it should be done as
> its the most important thing to do for the growth of any wiki
> project.But we cann't measure this on any scale however a Wiki project
> growth may show some part of this.I think we need improvement in each
> and every area.Creating artices are very easy but its very difficult
> to preserve them on wikipedia as they got vandalised many times so
> this most important work go to the hands of Administrators.So Doing
> admin activites as an Administrator is very important specially in
>  Indic Wiki projects. In my opinion These both are completely
> different but both are important and need to be taken care.
> Warm Regards
> Mayur

Mayur may be correct. But I don't understand what  he is doing in Hindi
wiki. :)

Some examples:

* I saw he himself changed his account rights many times
(http://hi.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&type=rights&user=Mayur&page=&year=&month=-1&tagfilter=&hide_review_log=1).
* Using 'abuse filter' excessively, such that blocking or warning a new
user who did his/her first edit
(http://hi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:AbuseLog?title=Special:AbuseLog&wpSearchUser=&wpSearchFilter=0&wpSearchTitle).
(even mayurbot invoking abuse filter!)
* Sometimes he even imported commons file to Hindi local
(http://hi.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Log&page=Image:Cave%2C+from+inside.jpg)
!

I don't know why, but I feel that he is requesting almost every (just
exaggerating :)) extension available for mediawiki to Hindi Wikipedia
and using Wikipedia as his test wiki. If someone can clarify what he is
doing there, probably that will be a great help for admins from other
wikies :)

praveenp