[Wikimediaindia-l] Moderation policy on WikimediaIndia-l

Hari Prasad Nadig hpnadig at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 20:33:19 UTC 2011

Dear Achal,

The below email seems to be trying to address too many things. I'll try to
answer some of those. I appreciate your continued interest in the Chapter
activity, considering that you were the one who started this out by putting
together the initial team.

It is probably unfair to say that the chapter hasn't communicated much on
time in just the last one month right after it has got registered legally,
when the information that flowed right from the time the EC was formed (by
you) haven't gone out appropriately and on time. This has been more or less
the case for almost two years from there. The leadership has changed in last
month. Is that why only the last month's updates are being targeted?

And the attack on EC has been either overreactions, emails  from trolls and
personal attacks. Like many observed on the list, it has been everything
else but civil.

I personally feel that some etiquette has to be maintained on this list. Be
it when you're sending the entire mail digests copied while responding back,
or when people are sending bulky attachments or bulky HTML email (and when
that gets filtered out by the spam filter and put into moderation - blame
the mods who've been looking after this list for like 6 years now!) This
also applies to those who've been writing making personal attacks on a
public mailing list.

I do not see why we should be pushing for more admins on this mailing list
when the present admins are active and have maintained this list for all
these years. However, since both of the mods who've been helping out as
community members here have now ended up in the Executive Committee, I feel
that we should probably add two more people.

Like Delphine said, moderating lists is more of "janitor work". We'd be more
happy if people (who aren't trolls) volunteer for this. I'd personally
prefer someone outside the Indian Wikimedia community or the Chapter to also
be on the moderator list among the two we add. That would probably help
where otherwise people have been just jumping into presumptions about
"moderation" when just the Indians are involved. From my own experience, the
spam filter's doings have been attributed to us many a times and distrust
has prevailed since then.

We *do not* selectively moderate emails on this open list.

It is deeply saddening when you read the kind of emails coming in during
last couple of weeks, and seeing the appalling interest of few in continuing
it rather than putting up a note pointing out to the etiquette.

- HPN

Hari Prasad Nadig
http://hpnadig.net | http://twitter.com/hpnadig
http://flickr.com/hpnadig