[Wikimediaindia-l] Dr. Sengai Podhuvan 's Appeal to Fund raising banners

CherianTinu Abraham tinucherian at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:50:41 UTC 2011

Not 861 edits,  Dr. Sengai Podhuvan started 861+ articles in Ta.wiki. (
Given that he started as an IP user, the actual count is much more, as Bala
said).

A similar contributor I can think of is G. Balachandran ( User:BabuG)  from
ml.wiki, whom I got featured in this Telegraph article.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110911/jsp/7days/story_14492284.jsp

"Seventy-three-year old G. Balachandran from Paravur, Kerala, has a
different story to tell. Paralysed for nearly two decades, this retired
junior commissioned officer of the Indian Army got a new lease of life,
thanks to Wikipedia. When his son presented him with a laptop, Balachandran
started contributing to Wikipedia in Malayalam. “Wikipedia not only helped
me rediscover myself, but also gave me the strength to fight my condition,”
says Balachandran, who has contributed nearly 100 articles to the Malayalam
Wikipedia since 2008 and has more than 2,000 edits to his credit. "

Having heard of him for some time, I was fortunate & privileged  to meet
another Wikimedian stalwart recently. He makes & sells food snacks during
the day and contributes to an Indian language Wiktionary on a donated
computer during his "free time".  He is one of the biggest contributors to
that project.Some of you might know him, but I am not sharing his name on
this list  for obvious reasons.

When I meet people like them, I personally feel dwarfed standing before
them. I can never match their passion and commitment for the movement. I
feel I have done/doing nothing when i compare myself to these people. These
are the kind of people that makes me continue to stay in the movement.

Regards
Tinu Cherian