[Wikimediaindia-l] SocialShare Gadget on Tamil Wikipedia

Steven Walling swalling at wikimedia.org
Thu Dec 8 20:43:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Srikanth Lakshmanan <srik.lak at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just as we started the Tamil Wiki Media Contest[1], we have realized the
> power of social media[2] and virality. In an attempt to increase page views
> even by single digits and having more visibility for content pages, I was
> looking around and found the share gadget on Hebrew wikipedia and have
> adapted the gadget code[3] to Tamil[4]. Since Indic wikipedias need more
> people to read the articles, this might be useful gadget you might want to
> your Indic wikiprojects. Should you need any help to get this on your wiki,
> please ping me off-list.
>
> Thanks Hebrew community for the code & Bala/Surya for helping out.
>
> Okay, next time you read a good article on Tamil Wikipedia, just share
> with your friends :)
>
> [1] http://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contest
> [2] http://www.facebook.com/tawmc
> [3] http://tawp.in/r/2v3x
> [4] http://tawp.in/r/2v42
>
> --
> Regards
> Srikanth.L

Very cool. :)

Is there going to be any way to measure how often this happens, and for
what pages? Other communities have spent many hours discussing this
(including English Wikipedia) with little success. Data on how social
sharing leads to greater readership, enthusiasm for Wikipedia, and even
possibly editing would be fantastic to have.

Steven Walling
Community Organizer at Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org