[Wikimedia Brasil] [Chapters] Brazilian chapter's bylaws

Alexandre Hannud Abdo abdo em usp.br
Segunda Maio 18 04:13:06 UTC 2009

Ni!

(please don't forget to "reply to all" if appropriate)

Dear members of ChapCom,

 We are delighted to hear from you.

 Our community was getting ready to contact you, awaiting the conclusion
 of the discussion over the new Chapter Agreement, which we are
following closely.

 But since you have come forward ahead of us, let's seize the day!

 It runs strongly among us that there is no reason to form a legal
entity in Brazil right now. We were confident and transparent on that
during the Chapters Meeting, reflecting the position of our community as
 a whole, which remains adamant.

 In fact, given our main concern was the broader community's reception
 to our choices, the few volunteers who were still considering
incorporation have changed their minds after the enthusiastic input we
had during the Chapters Meeting from both the chapters and the
foundation.

 To remind, there we presented[1] our first Chapter Report[2] and
discussed the idea of a Statement of Principles[3], which would replace
the role of a Bylaws in our case. We have, since, fully translated our
statement into English[3].

 The essential idea is that our community manages relationships and a
set of values and principles, which by themselves work towards achieving
 the goals of a regular chapter through the action of autonomous
volunteers.

 And the essential observation is that our Chapter Report reveals how
well this is already working in practice. (Though we excuse ourselves
for using the term 'non-chapter' in the report, which was mostly due to
the heat of some arguments among us).

 Our understanding is that we might be in a particular situation of our
country and the community willing to foster the foundation's goals
here.

 But it also might be an interesting perspective for other communities
where similar passions and difficulties arise. We heard from many that
India is quite similar in that respect.

 To be clear, we understand our community as a functional Chapter.

 Only it is supported by an open social movement instead of an
incorporated organization - and we are aware these terms imply a
different agreement on trademark use, one without a capital "A".

 In that spirit, we do not consider our request so much outside the
scope of the Chapters Committee, and encourage you to participate.

 We kindly invite all members of the Chapters Committee to read our
Statement of Principles[3], and share your comments and ideas with us.

 All your observations will be forwarded unedited to the Foundation,
unless requested not to, once we start discussing this possibility of
becoming a Chapter.

[1]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Chapters_meeting_2009/Preparation/Wikimedia_Brasil

[2]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Brasil/Chapter_Report_2008

[3]
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Brasil/Statement_of_Principles

 Well, this is already a very long e-mail already =)

 Let's hear from you now!

(please don't forget to "reply to all" if appropriate)

 Best wishes to everyone,

ale, thomas, nevinho and other
volunteers for the brazilian chapter
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Brasil/en