[Wikimediaau-l] Officialwiki is launched!

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 12:47:47 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am happy to share with you... officialwiki!
http://wikimedia.org.au/

So, here is the basic plan. It's accounts-only editing. Accounts can
only be registered by members. We will use FlaggedRevs as necessary to
separate "official" or particularly "forward facing" pages.

Regarding usernames. We use an extension called RequestAccount. This
is partly so that people can choose their own username. I would
encourage people to use their real names, but then I also recognise
the convenience of having a single username everywhere (and in fact I
used my Wikimedia name). Or, you can pick a name which is totally
unrelated to both. There is no need for a link between your status as
a WMAU member and a Wikimedia user account. As secretary I will record
the link (because access is tied to membership, and membership may
expire), but you don't have to reveal it to other people if you don't
want to.
I hope that this meets everyone's privacy concerns. Of course you can
also choose not to register an account at all.

One thing that I like a lot is that I enabled "InstantCommons" for the
wiki. So you can really use Commons images just as if it was a
"proper" Wikimedia wiki. And you probably have no reason to upload
files locally. :P The current incarnation of "InstantCommons" seems to
be very experimental -- the devs aren't giving too much away about
what plans for it are -- but I rather doubt we will max it out anyway,
even if we tried.

So... that's about it. I look forward to seeing what creative uses we
can come up with for it.

cheers
Brianna

PS If you're wondering why there's no Adelaide picture on the front
page, it's because all the Adelaide pictures are uploaded at
en.wikipedia. Transfer them to Commons and I will happily switch one
of the Sydney ones. :P

http://modernthings.org/