[Wikimediaau-l] [Osia-discuss] Open source wiki project - expressons of interest sought

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Sun May 25 23:41:24 UTC 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM, Ken Parish <Ken.Parish at cdu.edu.au> wrote:
> We are calling for expressions of interest in undertaking a project
> involving installing and configuring/customising an open source wiki
> (probably Mediawiki which runs Wikipedia, but we are open to better
> suggestions).
> The project is for creation of a wiki (and probably a range of sub-wikis)
> which are intended to solicit input from the public on a range of public
> policy matters. The project has received informal support from a senior
> minister but no funding from the federal government is anticipated.  Members
> of the public will post policy/budgetary reform proposals and anyone who
> wishes to do so will work collaboratively with them on the wiki to develop
> the policy to a stage where it is suitable to be formally submitted to the
> relevant Minister/Department for consideration.
> Particular features we need/want include:
>
> 1.      Front page appearance as much like Wikipedia as is consistent with
> other requirements;
>
> 2.      Branded with Lateral Economics logo (to be supplied);
>
> 3.      Front page to contain explanation of the purpose and general
> functionality of the wiki/s;
>
> 4.      Left sidebar to contain links to any other wikis – which will
> initially function as catchalls for ideas that are not central to the
> purpose of the first wiki – as well as links to useful policy research
> resources (links list to be supplied).  Alternatively we can create the
> sidebar links if you can show us how and it's relatively straightforward and
> doesn't require any programming knowledge.  This applies to any of these
> configuration requests.  Because this is a community initiative without any
> form of funding and with no short-term prospect of generating income, we
> need to keep cost as moderate as reasonably possible while still achieving a
> stable, functional site in a fairly short time frame.  Both Nicholas and
> myself are very experienced at running blogs and similar sites and are used
> to undertaking fairly extensive non-expert configuration tasks.  Though the
> principal objective at this stage is not to make money, Nicholas is the CEO
> of Lateral Economics and believes that the provision of wikis and consulting
> services attached to them could be built into a substantial revenue stream
> for Lateral Economics and those working on the project will be invited to
> participate in that work on favourable terms.
>
> 5.      The wiki/s will have a fairly extensive category system, with
> categories for each federal government department/agency and probably also
> categorised by function/government activity.  See
> http://www.gold.gov.au/quicklinks.php?agency .  Desirably a links list to
> the categories will be displayed down a right sidebar (or down the left one
> if there is no easy way to create a right sidebar).
>
> 6.      There needs to be full unrestricted public access for reading all
> documents posted on the wiki/s, but password only access for those who wish
> [...]

Interesting idea.
Some information about the proposers intent regarding who can do what
with the information might make it easier for people to see if it is
somewhere that they might like to volunteer their time?

Is lateral economics a company/private interest?
Who is we? Is someone getting paid on the project?
If so what are they getting paid for?

How are the moderators determined are they community chosen or is this
a company looking to crowd source ideas?
Who decides if the project is useful/continues?
Who decides what is an edit war or not useful content?

Many wikis like wikiversity are gradually putting in custom tweaks to
suit their specific content and use.
It happens over time as people are able.
There are a lot of tweak requests in the proposal for a project which
is intended to be voluntary?

What is the intended licence on the project? Wikiversity is GDFL.
Can contributors use the policy suggestions they submit independently?
Can contributors use any of the material in the wiki independently?

Places where this kind of material has been collected previously
http://campaigns.wikia.com/wiki/Campaigns_Wikia - contains issues
information but there was competition between people who wanted to
debate issues and people who wanted to represent elections. the
elections people won so the issues data is a bit buried.
http://campaigns.wikia.com/wiki/Digital_Rights

Somewhere like wikiversity might be a good place to work on an issue
like education policy because the community there has momentum.
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Portal:Education The wikiversity uses a
You might find that the policy idea is a facet or aspect of wider projects.
This might make it easer for people to hook into existing work on that
subject in situ or context with other work on the topic rather than in
a separate location.

I can see why it might be interesting to have a site which just does
policy but think that initially sticking close to existing communities
might help things to start off more quickly.

Janet