[Wikimediaau-l] Wikimania 2010 bid idea: joint-bid with iSummit?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 01:57:36 UTC 2008

2008/8/20 Angela <beesley at gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:19 PM, Brianna Laugher
> <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Regarding "The jury are likely to turn down Australia because airfares
>> from the US or Europe are $1000 or more." -- are you referring to the
>> iSummit jury or the Wikimania jury?
>
> I meant the Wikimania jury (which I'm no longer on btw to avoid any
> COI). I shouldn't have said "likely". I don't know how likely it is,
> but if you look at this log
> <http://wikimania2008.wikimedia.org/wiki/Post-mortem/meeting_transcripts/2008-08-09>,
> there seems to be an underlying assumption that Australia can never
> win it.

*reads* Wow...
thanks for attending that meeting, Angela. If you hadn't I think we
would have been written off the map pretty fast. :/ Or else lumped in
with Antarctica -- as if holding an event in Australia is equivalent
with holding one there...

some quotes to consider:

[07:34] MichaelSnow: So if we keep turning down Australia, we should
have a special Australians to Wikimania scholarship fund?
[07:34] SueGardner: Michael: yes, exactly. Seriously.
[07:34] _sj_: now you're talking
[07:34] _sj_: for some version of "we"
[07:34] James_F: Possibly it should be a consideration.
[...]
[07:34] • delphine seconds MichaelSnow
[07:34] James_F: I mean, .au people are disadvantaged.
[07:34] DamianFinol: Agreed
[07:34] SueGardner: Yes yes yes.
[07:34] bastique: MichaelSnow: absolutely
[07:34] eia: James_F: so are people from siberia
[07:35] brassratgirl: we've talked about setting scholarship
guidelines more clearly
[07:35] _sj_: define accessibility in a way that can apply to any wiki[m]edian
[07:35] James_F: Not necessarily a special fund, but a heavier
weighting for .au / etc. people.
[07:35] Austin: I think I have a draft e-mail about that open, which I
never finished.
[07:35] brassratgirl: making sure we fund a person from every chapter,
definitely from every continent... that seems reasonable to me
[07:35] SueGardner: Can we talk about scholarships just for one minute now?
[07:35] _sj_: likewise meta-acessibility
[07:35] bastique: "The Australian problem" is that the country is
unusually over-represented on our projects
[...]

[07:36] Austin: eia: the applicant's added value for the conference
has always been the chief factor.
[...]
[07:37] eia: Austin: indeed, and that rules out to favor australians

[...]
[07:39] Angela: as an alternative to scholarships that only allow a
couple of people from Australia (or wherever) to attend, what about
more Foundation support for local conferences? Why not send the Board
and pay for other important speakers to attend not only Wikimania but
also a second conference in a "less accessible" location each year?
[...]
[07:40] SueGardner: The Foundation committed this year to supporting
the annual chapters conference.
[07:40] SueGardner: I attended a Wikipedia Academy in Berlin.
[07:40] SueGardner: If people organize stuff and invite us, we would go

After reading through that whole thing I feel a bit like the best we
can hope for is a local/national conference with a few WMF people
dropping in.

Blah.

>> Anyway, the cost of airfare doesn't change if you attend one
>> conference or two, so I don't see how co-hosting with another
>> conference could be interpreted negatively by either jury, for that
>> matter?
>
> You would need to prove that it won't impact negatively on costs. If
> it's co-hosted with an expensive conference, doesn't that make it
> expensive? Or will iSummit be happy being in a low-cost venue?

Well, we could have cheap, close accommodation, and they could have
more expsensive accomm further away. I don't see that it's an
automatic thing. But I've never organised a conference, either...

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/