[Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia presents its five-year strategic plan

Ting Chen tchen at wikimedia.org
Fri Feb 25 18:33:45 UTC 2011

Dear Wikimedia community and friends:

I am very pleased to present the summary report of the Wikimedia
Foundation's five-year strategic plan: our first-ever such plan,
developed through a transparent collaborative process involving more
than a thousand participants during 2009 and 2010.

The strategic plan summary can be found on the WMF wiki:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Movement_Strategic_Plan_Summary

And a wiki-based version will also be housed on the Strategy Planning wiki:
http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Movement_Strategic_Plan_Summary

The purpose of this plan is to chart a direction for the Wikimedia
movement to carry us into 2015, clearly articulating our key priorities:
* To stabilize Wikimedia's technical, financial and organizational
infrastructure
* To increase participation
* To improve quality
* To increase reach
* To encourage innovation

We'll know we have been successful when we:
* Increase the total number of people served to 1 billion
* Increase the amount of information we offer to 50 million Wikipedia
articles
* Ensure information is high quality by increasing the percentage of
material  reviewed to be of high or very high quality by 25 percent
* Encourage readers to become contributors by increasing the number of
total editors per month who made>5 edits to 200,000
* Support healthy diversity in the editing community by doubling the
percentage of female editors to 25 percent and increasing the number of
Global South editors to 37 percent

The plan, which has been unanimously endorsed by the Wikimedia
Foundation Board of Trustees, will be hosted on strategy.wikimedia.org,
which we anticipate will allow for localization of the report, so it can
be shared with a global audience.  Everyone is encouraged to help with
the translation and localization process on the wiki.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to the development of the plan
--  the more than one thousand people who worked together on the
strategy wiki, on IRC and Skype and mailing lists and in face-to-face
meetings, to develop the plan. I would also like to particularly thank
Sue Gardner, Eugene Eric Kim, Barry Newstead and Philippe Beaudette. And
I'd like to thank my predecessor, former Chair Michael Snow, who
commissioned the project. This is the first time ever that anybody has
developed a five-year strategic plan in a truly open, collaborative
process: we should all be very proud of what we've done here.

This is the blueprint for Wikimedia through 2015, and we are energized
and enthusastic about where Wikimedia is heading.  Our projects will
lead the expansion and growth of high-quality free knowledge both on the
internet and in off-line settings. Please join us in sharing this plan
and helping to make it a reality.

Ting Chen, Chair of the Wikimedia Board of Trustees

--
Ting Chen
Member of the Board of Trustees
E-Mail: tchen at wikimedia.org