[Wikimedia Announcements] WMF Staff Addition: Mani Pande as Senior Research Analyst, Global Development

Barry Newstead bnewstead at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 15 22:53:50 UTC 2010

It is my pleasure to welcome Mani Pande to the Wikimedia team.

Mani joins as the Senior Research Analyst, Global Development.  In this
role, Mani will work across the Global Development team and the
organization as a whole to design and lead research work that helps us
make good strategic decisions and evaluate the results of the work that
we do (to make even better decisions).  In addition, Mani will help to
design and deploy metrics for key Global Development areas so that we
can monitor our performance against the strategic plan.

A native of New Delhi, Mani brings a global perspective to our work. Her
passion lies in understanding how consumers use technology to map
opportunity spaces for new product strategies and industry growth. She
has a special interest in the transformative technology experiences
brought about through the use of mobile devices by emerging market
consumers. She has also extensively studied the growth of open source
movement.

Mani is an accomplished quantitative researcher & has conducted surveys
studying technology usage, sustainability and health in US, India and
China. Mani is an experienced ethnographer having conducted work in
India, Brazil, Russia and China on technology usage and studying women
in the software industry.  Mani worked for the Institute for the Future,
a forecasting research organization based in Palo Alto,  for over 5
years. She has a PhD in Sociology from Kansas State University and an MA
and MPhil in Sociology from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
Before moving to the US to pursue her PhD, Mani worked as a
reporter-cum-sub-editor for The Times of India. Her  beats were media
(favorite assignments covering a Cindy Crawford press conference &
Yanni's show at the Taj Mahal) & crime (no favorites here, just saw a
lot of gross stuff).

Mani loves to cook. Her specialties, Thai red curry, enchiladas in mole
sauce (from scratch) & chicken biryani. She posts pics of food that she
cooks on Twitter. You can see some of the pics (@manipande on Twitter).

Welcome Mani!

--
Barry Newstead