[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Update on community advocacy & liaison work

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 09:10:35 UTC 2014

Erik Moeller, 13/12/2013 08:40:
> FYI :) [...]

Thanks Erik. I've now seen
<http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?c=qSa9VfwQ&cs=9UL9Vfwt&page=Job%20Description&j=oX0kYfwZ>
[1].

Assuming "live" is just a typo for "life", I mainly have a hard time
understanding the paragraph "Your second priority". In particular, what
does "Wikimedia's projects" stand for there, "Wikimedia[ Foundation]'s
[software] projects" (products) or "Wikimedia('s) projects" in our usual
sense i.e. project/content wikis?
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_projects> I suppose the
former because "development of governance models and practices" for our
wikis would be highly inappropriate a goal for any WMF/product employee,
but then I don't understand what a "technical, social and structural
change" in software projects could be.

On the (potentially) just linguistic side, I must say that "brokering
consensus" doesn't sound to me very similar to your second stated
learning/goal "We need to start the process as early as possible", but
rather to the usual "buy consensus for a decision already taken" model.

Nemo

[1] Pasting here because jobvite job posting vanish in the space void
after a bit:

Director of Community Engagement (Product)
Engineering & Product Management | San Francisco, CA, United States

     Your first priority: Lead and grow a team of liaisons and
facilitators in order to build an effective day-to-day partnership with
Wikimedia's volunteer community in the conception, development and
launch of new features and projects. You and your team will work closely
with Wikimedia's engineers, designers and product managers in pursuit of
that goal.

     Your second priority: Support the development of governance models
and practices which enable continued positive technical, social and
structural change in Wikimedia's projects.

     Your foundation: A team with decades of combined volunteering
experience in the Wikimedia community, an organization committed to
transformative change, and above all, a world-wide community that does
the impossible every day.

     Your values: A commitment to the free and open sharing of
information, to true collaboration, to empathy, to kindness, patience
and respect.

Qualifications:

     5+ years of experience working with online communities

     Proven leadership experience; prior management or team lead
experience is strongly preferred

     Experience developing and managing budgets and project plans

     Demonstrated ability to work with people of entirely different age
groups, cultural backgrounds, and motivations

     Experience working with product managers, engineers and designers;
experience launching products is a major plus

     Experience developing governance models for nonprofits or
communities is a major plus

     Familiarity with the open source and free culture movement; active
participation is a major plus

     Proven track record of brokering consensus in challenging situations

     Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills;
ability to speak more than one language is a plus

     International live/work experience is a plus

     Love of knowledge and learning; a great sense of humor