[Wikimedia-l] Contribution to Visually impaired

Klein Eduard eduard.klein at bfh.ch
Fri Jan 24 11:08:05 UTC 2014

Hi,
I came across this interesting thread and I would like to contribute with results of our recent TAO project (Third Age Online). We did R&D in the context of a joint EU project with respect to Wikipedia and Accessibility. A summary you can find here:
http://www.thirdageonline.eu/project-tao-2/software-development/mediawiki-accessibility-enhancements/
among others containing a link to a tracking list for developers: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Groups/Proposals/Accessibility_Tracking

Some of the accessibility issues that have been identified in our study have already been fixed by the team of the German Chapter of Wikipedia, but there is still a lot to do in order to improve the situation.

Kind Regards,
Eduard
Eduard Klein
BUAS Bern University of Applied Sciences

Yes, indeed.

Collaborating to get a well advertised clearing centre running would be a very good first step. But to get over the usual issue that nobody in the community comes forward to point out where the gaps are (which may not be surprising as the people we want to contact here are by definition already excluded from the community) we need outreach to the relevant impairment/disability groups to get their members involved. That is something that the Chapters would be good at, as many such groups/charities are national ones.   There are quite a few in the UK, and no doubt more in Germany and elsewhere.

Outreach is what the chapters do!

Best regards

Michael

Michael Maggs