[Wikimedia-l] Visually impaired

Michael Snow wikipedia at frontier.com
Wed Jan 15 17:29:54 UTC 2014

On 1/15/2014 8:13 AM, Victor Grigas wrote:
> I interviewed 2 gentlemen who are both blind who use a program called JAWS on desktop machines that reads the Wikipedia page to them, allowing them to edit.
In the US, I believe JAWS is the predominant tool employed to assist
blind computer users. At least if you deliver content that needs to
comply with Section 508 (information accessibility requirements from the
1973 Rehabilitation Act), performance with JAWS is the most likely way
that an agency will evaluate the content if they're serious about
meeting the requirements. It's limited to operating in a Windows
environment, but the program has an established user base that I
understand is quite active in providing feedback so the software can be
maintained and improved. I haven't dealt with it in a wiki context, but
if it's an effective aid for editing as well as reading, I'm glad to
hear it.

--Michael Snow