[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 23 15:12:29 UTC 2014

Hi Andy,

I thought about that as well. Besides the intro text, the info box would be
the main "attraction"; but if infoboxes were to fall back on wikidata
information, which they could technically already do, all we'd have to do
is add a blank infobox, and it should automatically fill up with the
wikidata information. In light of that, writing code to fill an infobox
with values form wikidata to paste into the article seems ... low-tech ;-)

Cheers,
Magnus

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>wrote:

> On 22 January 2014 08:35, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There are many ways to skin a cat. The most obvious
> > one is to add a {{Reasonator}} template as a place
> > holder in a Wikipedia. Another is to capture a not
> > found or a red link and insert Reasonator info. What
> > I am trying to do is to give a sense of direction. I am
> > not indicating how it will be done for sure.
>
> [I'm not on the devs list, so trimmed from the CC]
>
> I would like people to be able to "subst" that template (or have a big
> button that does the same thing), and have some code draft a stub
> article based on the statements in Wikidata, say:
>
>      "X was a German painter born in [[Munich]] on
>      27 May 1801. He died in [[Berlin]] on 3
>      March 1899"
>
> with formatted references, a reflist template, and a pre-populated
> infobox. It would be delivered in preview state, allowing further
> editing before publication.
>
> A suitably prominent warning would alert editors that they still bear
> responsibility for ensuring that the subject is notable, and the
> article fit for publication, according to local standards. A hidden
> category and/or an edit tag would allow tracking.
>
> Because of the complexity of this task, we could pilot it for one type
> of subject (say, buildings, or people, or even a subset of one of
> those) in one or two languages.
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing