[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Reasonator use in Wikipedias

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Jan 23 15:05:33 UTC 2014

On 22 January 2014 08:35, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are many ways to skin a cat. The most obvious
> one is to add a {{Reasonator}} template as a place
> holder in a Wikipedia. Another is to capture a not
> found or a red link and insert Reasonator info. What
> I am trying to do is to give a sense of direction. I am
> not indicating how it will be done for sure.

[I'm not on the devs list, so trimmed from the CC]

I would like people to be able to "subst" that template (or have a big
button that does the same thing), and have some code draft a stub
article based on the statements in Wikidata, say:

     "X was a German painter born in [[Munich]] on
     27 May 1801. He died in [[Berlin]] on 3
     March 1899"

with formatted references, a reflist template, and a pre-populated
infobox. It would be delivered in preview state, allowing further
editing before publication.

A suitably prominent warning would alert editors that they still bear
responsibility for ensuring that the subject is notable, and the
article fit for publication, according to local standards. A hidden
category and/or an edit tag would allow tracking.

Because of the complexity of this task, we could pilot it for one type
of subject (say, buildings, or people, or even a subset of one of
those) in one or two languages.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing