[Wikimedia-l] European Commission Copyright Consultation

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 15:19:09 UTC 2014

Hi Nemo,

Well, as I said it is an experiment and we can't be sure someting coherent
will come out of it. Therefore, in a true "liquid lobbying" fashion, we're
running a two-tiered strategy.

On the one hand, individual Wikimedians and EU chapters participating in
the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU [1] have worked together to draft an
"answering guide" for the consultation. Each chapter, individual or other
organisation is free to use these answers in whole or in parts to produce
their own submission.

On the other hand we have put the entire thing on Meta. [3] If the movement
manages to come up with decent answers, then again everyone will be free to
use the answers in whole or in parts.

So, we're making two efforts, one in a thematic group of Wikimedians with a
lot of direct communication and another one straight away on meta. The
advantage is that we will be able to compare the results, the strengths and
weaknesses of each process. We also have a back-up to rely upon should
either attempt fail to produce meaningful answers.

About the 2009 Green Paper - it looks like a great effort was made. Feel
free to work some of the points into the current consultaiton, if they
should fit ;)

Dimi

[1]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EU_policy
[2]http://youcan.fixcopyright.eu/en/full/?guide=wikimedia