[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 04:41:29 UTC 2014

Yes.  The current discussion has confused people about the things that are
not very contentious:
* Ingesting and converting out of more formats is good: we should start
ingesting MP4 and converting on the fly.  There are no major legal risks to
our doing so.
* We have a tiny video community; even so we are one of the largest
collection of WebM videos on the web.  We should try to increase the global
population of WebM videos so that there is more incentive for remixers and
videographers to start playing with and using compatible tools.
* We should increase our support for toolchains for WebM and similar
unencumbered formats: by helping the major clients implement support.

If we clarify those things, a new RFC that focuses on implementing MP4
autoconversion would have more support.  It would be easier & faster if the
RFC creators chose to close discussion for now while reframing & revising
the focus of discussion.

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266