[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat Jan 18 04:18:22 UTC 2014

David Gerard wrote:
>Given Commons' attitude on even incredibly unlikely copyright risks
>... it's just ridiculous to assume such a provision on a format would
>be allowed to pass.
>
>I see at least one person has deemed it a snowball-pass after just a
>few hours. I find this ... unlikely.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Requests_for_comment/MP4_Video

Looking at the discussion, there are currently approximately 105 users
under general support, 167 users under general oppose, and 34 users under
partial support (contributions only). The few other sections have a
negligible amount of activity.

There's already discussion on the talk page about how to close what will
inevitably be a very long and contentious discussion. If we avoid treating
this RFC as a vote, there's possibly hope for a reasonable compromise.

MZMcBride