[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 20:00:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ah. Well if you're not even buying into the legitimacy of photos on
> Commons, I'm not sure there's a way to have a productive discussion about
> video.
>
> -Andrew

No, I think the vast repository of images, properly curated, is valuable
and useful. But Commons is still pretty close to square one with video, so
it seems natural to discuss whether it can fulfill the same role for video
content that it does for images, and whether there exists out there enough
interested reusers to make large investments worthwhile.

Reading the multimedia vision and watching the video answers some of my
questions, in that it seems the goal for videos is more limited than it is
for images. I don't think it would be of much value to have 100 million
videos where only 50,000 are used in another Wikimedia project, but judging
by the video presentation that clearly is not the WMF's goal or direction.
Some of the comments in the RFC seemed to suggest that as an object and I'm
glad that isn't the case.