[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 19:11:26 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing that hasn't come up in the debate is the relative importance of
> Wikimedia's approach to video, given the existing video ecosystem. YouTube
> enables cc-by uploading and has 4 million videos with a free license, and
> 6.5 million videos that are explicitly educational. Are we sure focusing on
> our own base of uploaded videos is the approach best calibrated to serving
> Wikimedia's mission?

"In general, downloading videos that other people have posted on YouTube is
not allowed."
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/56100?hl=en

Most folks have concluded it's a violation of YouTube's Terms of Service.

So much for the "remix" part if you want to do it outside of YouTube's own
editor.

More here in the comments:
https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/27533