[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Marc A. Pelletier marc at uberbox.org
Thu Jan 16 18:28:12 UTC 2014

On 01/16/2014 01:21 PM, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> I prefer for us to remain on the path where our whole stack of both content
> and software is unencumbered.

I'd really hope we're not setting up a false dichotomy in our
discussion; nobody has been argued about supporting MP4 containers in
replacement of open formats, but of allowing uploads and transcoding to
open format alongside the ability to view videos in those encumbered
formats.

Ultimately, our primary mission remains to collect *make available* the
knowledge; that we do so in a way that never *requires* proprietary
tools of format is necessary -- but doesn't imply we can't make it
/also/ available in some encumbered formats when it increases how many
people can effectively get access to it.

-- Marc