[Wikimedia-l] RfC: Should we support MP4 Video on our sites?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 18:21:26 UTC 2014

Hoi,
This is a truly divisive issue. For many people the notion that you do not
need anything proprietary is a powerful motivator to participate. Promoting
a stack of software that cannot be taken away because of the whims of a
company or country is an integral part to it.

>From my perspective the lack of clarity in the license of the MP* codes
makes them really suspicious. Once we start using content in MP* we cannot
turn back. So if things go south we will be royally screwed.

The other argument I see is that there is a lot out there in these codecs.

When we do not accept the use of proprietary codecs, it does not mean that
we have no options. The only thing is we will have to do more stuff that is
considered to be basic. That may not seem sexy to some and that is not
really relevant.

I prefer for us to remain on the path where our whole stack of both content
and software is unencumbered.
Thanks,
      GerardM