[Wikimedia-l] Extensive feedback from WMDE to the FDC process

Dariusz Jemielniak darekj at alk.edu.pl
Wed Jan 15 17:22:31 UTC 2014

thanks indeed! I agree with many of the comments (and yes, I don't like
bureaucracy neither, I also am very much in favor of moving towards a
collaborative and trusting process, although the way you phrased it sounds
as if you've assumed we, at the FDC, are against it :)

I think that beyond high-level philosophical comments there needs to be an
actual down-to-earth discussion about details. There is a need for
constructive proposals on what can be done differently and how, rather than
what we don't like. This conversation should be done collaboratively, I
think. I do not believe that the upcoming chapters conference is the best
possible venue for such a discussion. First, most of the FDC members will
not be there, and I think that our presence could be useful. Second, the
whole FDC cycle has not finished yet (and it will finish in May). Finally,
much more movement activists will be present at Wikimania.

That's why I think that 1-2 days before or after Wikimania would be the
best time to have an intensive, constructive session on the FDC model.
Also, please note that there is an FDC review process ongoing (there is a
community driven FDC-advisory group, etc.). Perhaps a good first step would
be to coordinate this, <mocking mode on> rather than schedule WMDE-driven
redesign </mocking mode off>.

In any case, I'm glad the conversation is starting, and I think it would be
good to actually schedule some time for a workshop about this. My
suggestion is before or after Wikimania, as it is by far the easiest timing
for many, including those who do not receive chapter support to attend.

best,

dariusz "pundit"