[Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 14 04:56:51 UTC 2014

On 14/01/14 15:38, Marc A. Pelletier wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 11:20 PM, Tim Starling wrote:
>> The English
>> Wikipedia edit rate has been declining since about January 2007, and
>> is now only 67% of the rate at that time. A linear regression on the
>> edit rate from that time predicts death of the project at around 2030.
>
> That's...  come /on/ Tim!  You know better than to say silly things like
> that.
>
> The abuse filter alone could very well account for this (the prevented
> edits and the revert that would have taken place).  :-)  I used to do a
> lot of patrol back in those years and - for nostalgia's sake - I tried
> doing a bit over a year ago.  The amount of "surface" vandalism has gone
> down a *lot* since.

Reversing the decline in editor population has been a major strategic
priority of WMF for many years. You are saying you have never heard of
it before? Well, here is some reading material for you:

<http://blog.wikimedia.org/2009/11/26/wikipedias-volunteer-story/>

<https://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Movement_Strategic_Plan_Summary/Increase_Participation>

<http://blog.wikimedia.org/2011/07/22/year-in-review-and-the-road-ahead-for-global-development/>

<http://opensourcebridge.org/sessions/1061>