[Wikimedia-l] Thanking anonymous users

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Tue Jan 14 04:20:56 UTC 2014

On 14/01/14 14:10, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> We shouldn't assume linear growth over a ten year period.

Indeed. The data strongly points to sublinear growth. The English
Wikipedia edit rate has been declining since about January 2007, and
is now only 67% of the rate at that time. A linear regression on the
edit rate from that time predicts death of the project at around 2030.

Meanwhile, WMF revenue has gone from 2.4M (2006/2007) to 50.4M
(2012/2013).

I don't think backend scaling is really a problem we have anymore.

-- Tim Starling