[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Mon Jan 13 09:25:03 UTC 2014

Andrew sums up the situation in the UK very well. For some Wikimedian in
Residence positions they are entirely funded by the chapter. Others involve
funding from both the institution and the chapter. A third model involves a
residency being funded by a third party. For example, there's a residency
which is being announced later this week working with a leading health
charity which is being funded by a third party. It's not announced publicly
yet, so can't give details, but watch this space!

Stevie

On 12 January 2014 19:26, Erlend Bjørtvedt <erlend at wikimedia.no> wrote:

> In Norway, without exception; all 5 wikipedians in residence are either
> paid by the institution (3) or they are retired pensioners from their
> institution. No one paid by chapter or wmf. This means they 'belong' to the
> institution and feel quite a lot lotalty there.
>
> Erlend
>  Den 12. jan. 2014 13:13 skrev "Andrew Gray" <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>
> følgende:
>
> > It varies. Some are essentially unfunded or self-funded; some are
> > institutionally funded; some are funded by chapter-sourced grants;
> > some are funded by third parties (I was!); and a mix of #2 and #3 is
> > not uncommon.
> >
> > Andrew.
> >
> > On 12 January 2014 10:06, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> the
> > >>

> > > Wikipedians-in-Residence are not funded by Wikimedia, but by the
> > > organisation where they are working with.
> > >
> > > --
> > > André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
> >

> > --
> > - Andrew Gray
> >   andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*