[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

David Goodman dggenwp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 00:29:49 UTC 2014

I've looked at a great deal of detectable  paid editing on the english WP.
 Only about 10% of it is of acceptable   quality, with respect to both
notability
of subject and quality of contents.  On similar topics, the quality of
volunteer editing is considerably better--at least 30% is acceptable.
 (about half the enWP submissions have always been rejected at one stage or
another, even with our relatively very undemanding standards).

Like Andrew,  I consider the work on non-profits, especially universities,
to be even worse than the work on commercial businesses, both for paid and
unpaid edits--this is partly enthusiastic alumni, but also the very low
quality of most organizational PR departments)

Unpaid advocacy is a much more difficult problem, because its much harder
to sort out from honest attempts at NPOV. I see no solution to that one
without our general framework.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:

> Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> >I want to open up the discussion even wider. The way things are stated is
> >that paid editing is not acceptable.
>

> I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Paid_editing is still a very rough draft,
> but the first sentence is currently:
>
> ---
> Paid editing is fairly common on Wikimedia wikis. It takes various forms,
> with a few being widely accepted and a few being incredibly controversial.
> ---
>
> I would like Wikimedia to be explicit about what is and is not acceptable
> for editors. If Wikidata takes a different approach, we should document
> that as well. But the goal isn't to pr[oe]scribe, it's to describe.
>
> Some of the posts from this mailing list may be very helpful in expanding
> that page. I'm sure there are many other past discussions from the various
> wikis and mailing lists we can incorporate as well. Be bold. :-)  If it's
> just the page title you'd like to change, I agree that the current page
> title ("Paid editing") is not great. The "Conflict of interest editing"
> page has some related content, but that title also didn't feel right to me.
>
> MZMcBride

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG