[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing v. paid advocacy (editing)

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat Jan 11 19:15:36 UTC 2014

Gerard Meijssen wrote:
>I want to open up the discussion even wider. The way things are stated is
>that paid editing is not acceptable.

I'm not sure what you mean.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Paid_editing is still a very rough draft,
but the first sentence is currently:

---
Paid editing is fairly common on Wikimedia wikis. It takes various forms,
with a few being widely accepted and a few being incredibly controversial.
---

I would like Wikimedia to be explicit about what is and is not acceptable
for editors. If Wikidata takes a different approach, we should document
that as well. But the goal isn't to pr[oe]scribe, it's to describe.

Some of the posts from this mailing list may be very helpful in expanding
that page. I'm sure there are many other past discussions from the various
wikis and mailing lists we can incorporate as well. Be bold. :-)  If it's
just the page title you'd like to change, I agree that the current page
title ("Paid editing") is not great. The "Conflict of interest editing"
page has some related content, but that title also didn't feel right to me.

MZMcBride