[Wikimedia-l] Relationship between Wikimedia and oDesk

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 08:51:14 UTC 2014

On the worker's side, in addition to the 10 % fee there are also e.g.
fees for money transfer, so oDesk earns on the interests for deposits
(though that was recently limited). The system and restrictions for
entering hours are painful but WMF is reportedly never using the worst
sides of them (like the application which takes screenshots every ten
minutes).
	I don't know how their costs compare with competitors', but as far as I
know some were considered and one candidate company identified; the WMF
also has some full-time employees abroad who don't go through oDesk, so
for some countries WMF can compare the administrative costs. I've no
idea how big a part of the savings allowed by using oDesk consist in an
erosion of employee benefits and other legal/contractual advantages the
worker would have if paid/employed directly/locally. It would be useful
to set up a Meta-Wiki page listing the basic requirements WMF has for
one such service.
	As for other employers on oDesk, yes: even though the only "official
job type" is the keyword "mediawiki", it's trivial to find dozens of
obvious paid editors in oDesk with a simple search; the subtle and
really dangerous ones will make their profile private and reveal
themselves only to job posters. However, this matters to the WMF only in
a minimal way, namely that WMF employers can use "points" earned with
WMF (billed hours and "stars"), shown on their profiles, to facilitate
other jobs: the same they can do with LinkedIn's work history and
recommendations. WMF probably wants to ensure that such
feedback/recommendations from WMF are given fairly but I doubt it's a
big deal.
	On a more practical and less formal point of view, it's possible that
the place exposes workers to "offers you cannot refuse" (and
"l'occasione fa..."). If this is the case, simple countermeasures may be
found and suggested to contractors in the handbook to compensate human
weakness (e.g. disabling job offers?).

Nemo