[Wikimedia-l] WMF employee writing articles for $300

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 19:00:56 UTC 2014

Well, if you don't say anything, Sir48, you are not misrepresenting
anything, are you?

It's a path many people have chosen in Wikipedia. They just remain silent.
The right to remain silent about who you are and who you work for is
enshrined in the principle of anonymity.

People (including the English Wikipedia's arbitration committee) have long
said that the policies guaranteeing the right to edit anonymously are in
tension with the guidelines discouraging editing with a conflict of
interest, and that the conflict between these two sets of policies and
guidelines is imperfectly resolved.

And in the final analysis, the English Wikipedia's policy against
harassment and outing takes precedence over the conflict-of-interest
guideline.

At any rate, conflict-of-interest editing is discouraged, but not forbidden
in the English Wikipedia, while posting another editor's employer is a
banning offence (unless the editor has previous disclosed it himself on
Wikipedia).

That this creates a lucrative market for companies like Wiki-PR should not
come as a surprise.

While non-transparent paid editing does not seem to me to violate the
Wikimedia terms of use, transparent paid editing clearly does not violate
them either. Surely, the way forward lies that way.

But while the German Wikipedia community for example is quite welcoming to
paid editors who act transparently – the German Wikipedia even has verified
company accounts like User:Coca_Cola_Germany – the English Wikipedia
community is exceedingly hostile to such users, to the point of blocking
company account names *on sight*, with the result that many such editors
prefer to fly under the radar, using a made-up name and the shield of the
anonymity policy.

Andreas